Monday 25 July 2016

Review: Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a pretty good book.

I loved the story and especially the little elements that were unique to it. There are so many stories of cursed/forbidden love and trying to escape destiny so the things that make this one different are endearing. The world of Casters for one. Every Caster has different powers. The divide between Dark and Light. 16. The history of Genevieve and Ethan. And so on.

I enjoyed how well the authors incorporated a normal life into all the weird stuff. My favourite parts of the book were probably when reading all the scenes at high school. It's important to know that still exists. The drama, all the kids against Lena, the school work, the dances- it's great to know that still affects her.

I enjoyed the Southern setting. Now I really get why the country and paranormal go together so well.

I did not really enjoy the writing. Yeah I liked the story, I just did not like how that story was written. There were so many cliches. Every time Lena and Ethan were like confessing their love for each other- it was in the same lines you hear in really really badly written fanfiction.

I also did not like Ethan's dad- dude, this is your friggin kid here livin his life without a father! Your wife died and all but maybe the reason she ain't unlockin doors for ya is 'cause instead of taking care of her son, you're going crazy in a study! *cue, father of the year award goes to...*

All in all, I loved the world and many of the characters and the setting in this almost badly written story. It is a good read still which is weird but it is.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment