Monday 10 October 2016

Review: Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare
When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean from New York to find her brother, her destination is London, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets.
4.5 stars.
I literally promised myself that while I would definitely finish this book before October, I wouldn't fly through it in like 2 days. Goes to show that it is way harder to keep promises that you make to yourselves than ones you make to others.

It was good though because it meant I must have loved it beyond enough to spend all spare moments reading it. It was almost impossible to put down. On top of that, I'm an avidly fast reader when I'm not readin contemporary novels (I tend to need alot more page markers and time to re-read sentences because I'm a sucker for beautiful views and philosophy).

The Characters.

Will: Although I find him quite infuriating sometimes (definitely not as much as Tess or Jem), he is quite a good character. As most readers, I'm drawn to his mysterious past/present. What's the shiz between him and his parents? And as Tessa asks, why does he look like everything amuses him but never laughs? And I love the fact that he's just so him- meaning his snarky, rude, smart-butt, egotistic, but awesome self. He was such a three dimensional character.

Tessa: I tend to like to read books with male protagonists but meeting Tessa and Clary, I've changed my mind in some sorts and also stayed strongly in the same mindset. One thing I didn't get in the Mortal Instruments series is a sibling to sibling loving relationship for Clary (in the 3 books i've read) and I thought for like half the book that I was going to get it here but then Nathan (my short for Nathaniel) has to go and screw that up.

One thing though, that I have hated about both Tessa and Clary is their strong attachment to their men and always, always inevitably in Clare's world, choosing the same kind of guy. Although yes, I like Will and I like Tessa, I just really don't like WillTessa (like,would it kill you to put a space in between, just one?).

Tessa, she is a great character. I know that I'm going to read her in the beginning and that the end will be totally different because she will evolve so much that I won't even notice. She went from a lost girl with some tunnel like mindsets to a fighting, hurt girl who finds family where she doesn't expect it.

Jem: I loved Jem. Yeah, he was too sweet and maybe not mysterious or dangerous enough but unlike a Will, we are always going to need a little Jem in our life somewhere. I wish I could insert candies and other sweet things in here just to fully describe him. He's not all a little puppy. He loves people and he fights for them. He fights for people who he doesn't know enough to love but because they are and cannot fight for themselves. The saddest thing is.... yeah it was pretty sad. Anyone but our Jem!

Nathan: I did think he was a coward since the beginning but I did adore his seemingly innocent self (though duh,it was a facade...). He lucky to have someone like Tessa who's willing to be tortured for him! For a gambler, he's shit at gambling.

Thomas: Will should have talked to him more, everyone should. I really feel sorry for the guy.

Magister: Good luck figuring it out dear readers! He's not what you think.

Yeah talking about the Magister and Nathan, I have to hand it to Cassandra Clare for keeping it so hidden from us for so long! How one engineers such twist and turns is beyond my range of understanding.

Tessa's love for books was ever pleasing. (she reminded me of how much I need to get on that train to reading Wuthering Heights).

Oh and uh, my dearest Will, I do believe that Demon Pox is not a what these moderners would call a 'thing'.

All in all, this book was a jaw dropping, fast paced, and wonderful first installment to The Infernal Devices with a very solidly built world in the very English city called London.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment