Sunday 22 May 2016

Looking for Alaska Book Review

I haven't all of John Green's books yet but I am positive that I could never love a book more than this....

Looking for Alaska was one of the friggin best books i have ever read if not THE best. This book wasn't about the journey of melting into a beautiful love and then tragically loosing it as much as it was about how to crawl on- how to live. It was about how to forgive, how to find yourself when you think you are inevitably lost, how to deal with an after when the smell and touch of before lingers, and oh god LIFE. 
The word 'cliche' in no shape or form can possibly apply to this book. One of the beautiful things about this book is how the writing and tone was like a sponge soaked with all the deep emotions that always seemed hard to say without blubbering cliches but without the annoyingness of hearing friggin rainbows in every syllable.
"...thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane."
"...I do, Alaska Young, I do love you and what else matters but that..."
"That is the fear: I have lost something important, and I cannot find it, and I need it."

Another beautiful thing about this book was the eye opening stuff and that was like waking up with Darth Sidious force lightning my face and then realizing he'd been doing that every morning but I only realized how to think it in a sentence this morning.
a) The Labyrinth. *I never knew how to properly spell labyrinth before this book* The progression of describing the labyrinth in this book-like WOW. Watching it evolve from this mystery of Simon Bolivar's last words to it being a labyrinth of suffering and begging the question of how the hell we could possibly escape it and understanding the answer to that as well.

b) Religion. For me personally as someone who doesn't know what to believe in, this book didn't speak to me like a scientist telling me all the reasons why a God CAN'T exist. It told me why people believe in what they believe. The topic of people wanting security is so real to me because I want to be sure I have everything I need before I go to school in the morning and I want to be sure about so many things. Just dreading and demolishing the idea that someday the people you love or yourself may not exist, well religion secures a life after for people and thats what drives us. Which brings the book to another thought, why do people love god? This book promotes the thought that being driven to love God out of fear of hell and want of heaven is not love- or at least not the purest of love. Love for a god should be the love you have for your parents and your parents have for you. Unquestionable, natural, unfading, and every other good thing.

The tone of this book, it was beautiful (i have used that word so much even i am laughing at myself but there really is no other word). At times, Pudge's hopelessness digs deep in your bones and makes you feel as if this is all there is. As if the pain and grief and loss is all it will ever be. And it will. But then arises little by little Pudge's hope. His Great Perhaps. In the people like the Colonel, Takumi, his religions professor. In school. In life. In the words;

"Everything that comes together falls apart."

In forgiving and forgetting. And in simply the fact that he is young. That he IS invincible. That Alaska was that way too. That now, she will always be that way. That we are more than the sum of our parts. 

There is so much more to this book that I probably have not said. I bet a book could be written for like every page in this book. It was sad and happy, hopeful and hopeless, funny and dark. You can read/feel/hear John Green's writing seeping through every friggin word. And I loved it.

You may also find this review along with lots of other things like a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow at https://www.goodreads.com/YodasApprentice09   .

No comments:

Post a Comment